B.S. (May 1989), Metallurgical Engineering, Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University (now IIT-Varanasi), India
M.S. (Aug.1991), Materials Science and Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Ph.D. (Sept.1994), Materials Science and Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Research focuses on light-weight structural materials, radiation-damage tolerant materials, high strength and high electrical conductivity materials and other metal-based multiphase and composite materials, with emphasis on designing materials with enhanced functionality through understanding and control of interface and defect phenomena.
Nov’96 – May ‘14 Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL).
LANL Fellow / Scientist Level 5 and Director, Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC): Center for Materials at Irradiation and Mechanical Extremes
Awards and Service:
- TMS Brimacombe Medalist, 2017
- Fellow, Materials Research Society (MRS), Class of 2016
- 2016 DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD, The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS), Materials Processing and Manufacturing Division.
- Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory, class of 2011.
- Fellow, American Society of Metals (ASM), International: class of 2011.
- 2011 DISTINGUISHED SCIENTIST/ENGINEER AWARD, The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS), Materials Processing and Manufacturing Division.
- 2008 LANL Fellows’ Prize for outstanding research in nanomechanics.
- 2013 LANL Distinguished Postdoctoral Mentor award.
- Selected by National Academy of Engineering for Frontiers of Engineering Symposium 2011.
- Selected for the 11th Annual National Academies Keck Futures Initiative conference, Future of Advanced Nuclear Technologies: Building a Healthier and Safer Planet, (November 2013).
- Materials Research Society (MRS):
- Meeting Chair, Fall 2012;
- Symposium Chair: Spring Meeting 2004, Spring Meeting 2006, Fall Meeting 2006,
- Fall Meeting 2008, Spring Meeting 2010.
- MRS Bulletin: 2009 Volume Organizer; Editorial Board (current).
- The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS):
- Elected Chair (2007-2009), vice-chair (2005-2007): Nanomechanical Material Behavior technical committee;
- Symposium co-Chair: TMS Annual Meetings: 2003, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2014;
- Tutorial co-organizer, Nanomechanical Characterization, TMS AM-2008;
- Program Grid Chair for TMS Annual Meeting 2011;
- Symposium Chair, PRICM-8, 2013.
- Meeting Chair, DOE, Office of Basic Energy Sciences Contractors’ Meeting on Mechanical Behavior and Radiation Effects, April 2008.
- Guest edited 5 special issues in different journals in materials science and engineering.
- Editor, Materials Research Letters.
- Co-organizer and instructor, Summer School, 20-25th June 2010, Atomic-level Response of Materials to Irradiation, Santa Fe, NM.